13, May 2006 10:35
4. Discuss the importance of Marx, Weber, and Durkheim to Bourdieu's theory of practice.
5. Compare and contrast any TWO of the following: Gramsci's notion of 'hegemony'; Bakhtin's notion of 'genre'; and Foucault's notion of 'discourse'.
(a) What is the hermeneutic method, and of what use is it to anthropology?
(b) Is anthropology a science?
7. 'Anthropology is the child of western imperialism.' Discuss.
8. To what extent are anthropological theories from the early 20th century relevant for contemporary anthropology?
9. Evaluate structuralism as an explanation of human practice.
10. Who has made the most important contribution to anthropology?